Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Summer Reading

Summer Reading! 

My Summer Goal: read as many diverse books as I possibly could in effort to add more "mirrors & windows" to our SBA student library.  Some of the books I read, particularly the ones I couldn't see myself in at all, caused me to think about our diverse student population and how often they come to the library and can't find a book that feels like a mirror to them.  Or, maybe they don't come at all because they just assume they won't one.  Either way, I intentionally sought out books with diverse characters and stories and I'm happy to say that the books I read and more have already been purchased for the SBA Library.  I'd love your thoughts for titles and authors we should add.  


LGBTQ Books
  • George by Alex Gino 
  • Gracefully Grayson by Amy Polinski​ (A middle school boy, Grayson, only sees a girl when he looks in the mirror and knows he should have been born female.  The book is his story of playing the female lead in the school and all that comes with.)
  • The Pants Project by Cat Clarke (Liv knows she's really a boy and hates that she's forced to wear a skirt as part of her school's uniform.  What I really liked about this book is that there is a lot of diversity-Liv has two moms and her friend at school has a physical disability).
  • Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan (Paul is an openly gay high school student in what seems like a pretty progressive high school-many openly gay students, the quarterback of the football team is also the homecoming Queen, named Infinite Darlene.  *mature, probably for 8th grade)
  • So Hard to Say by Alex Sanchez 
Culturally Diverse Books
  • If I Ever Get Out of Here by Eric Gansworth​ (Lewis, lives in poverty on a Native American reservation while going to a primarily white school and the discrimination and challenges he faced.  )
  • Somewhere Among by Annie Donwerth-Chikamatsu 
  •  The Whole Story of Half a Girl by Veera Hiranandani (Nadia is half Indian and half Jewish dealing with some seriously life changing events.) 

Additional Books I read and enjoyed
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer Holm
  • Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
  • Raymie Nightingale by Katie DiCamillo
  • Just Another Girl by Elizabeth Eulberg
  • Worthy by Donna Cooner

No comments:

Post a Comment